Have you ever given a closer thought to how beneficial cucumber is? Cucumbers can be easily found around but do you know it has tons of benefits?
Cucumber belongs to the family name Curcibitaceae. It is made up of 95% water, low in calories and high in fiber and potassium. It contains lots of vitamins such as Thiamine (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Nicatin (Vitamin B3), Vitamin B6.
Cucumber is very beneficial for your health, skin and hair.The benefits are explained below.
Health benefits of Cucumber.
- Hydration: Due to cucumber’s high water content (95%), it helps in hydrating the body system and can be used as an alternative when you don’t feel like taking water.
- Weight loss: It helps with weight loss owing to it low calories and high water content.
- Bone Health: It is rich in silica which helps promote bone health.
- Fresh Breath: When you place a slice of cucumber on the roof of your mouth, it fights bacteria responsible for bad breath.
- Controls Blood Pressure: Cucumber contains high potassium and low sodium which helps in regulating blood pressure level.
- Aids Digestion: It contains high fiber which aids digestion and prevent constipation and also acts a natural laxative.
- Helps the heart to function well: Lignans are the active and beneficial ingredients in cucumbers according to research findings. They help in reducing risk of heart diseases.
- Detoxification: It flushes toxins out of the body system because of it high water content.
- Helps with Diabetes: Cucumber contains an hormone needed by beta cells for insulin production.
- Fights cancer: Lignans in cucumber also reduce the risk of cancer.
- Antiinflammatory:Cucumber flesh contains Vitamin C that helps soothe skin rashes, irritation and reduce swelling.
Beauty Benefits of Cucumber.
- It soothes puffy eyes and get rid of dark circles
- It removes sunburn: Applying slice of cucumber to sunburn areas helps whiten it.
- Hair growth: It contains silicon and sulfur that stimulate hair growth.
- Hair strengthening: It also strengthens the hair thereby preventing breakage, this can be done by making a cucumber deep conditioning treatment.
- Slows down aging: Applying cucumber face mask or slices all over the face prevents and reduce freckles and wrinkles.
- It is a good skin toner: Cucumber tones the skin overtime thereby revealing glowing skin.
- It also helps with acne and treats open pores.
- Facial Cleanser: It can help remove dirts and makeup from the skin. Just make a cucumber juice by blending it in a blender, dab a cotton wool inside and apply all over your face.
- Facial Mask: You can use cucumber as a facial mask by making a cucumber paste and mixing with either honey, lemon juice or avocado.Apply the mixture all over your face and wash off after 30 mins.It rejuvenates the skin.
Thanks for reading, do you know of any other benefits of cucumber? Please share in the comment section.