Honey has been around since ancient time. It is widely used as natural remedy for certain skin and health issues and also as sugar substitute in meals. It has a sweet taste and is a lot healthier than sugar.
When purchasing honey, it is better to go for raw honey because it contains more nutrients and antioxidants than processed or refined honey. Honey shouldn’t be given to children under 1 year because of risk of botulism.
- Anticancer: Honey contains antioxidants which help combat carcinogenic cells.
- Antibacterial and Antifungal: Some research studies have proved honey to be effective in treating infectious diseases because of the defensin 1 protein it contains, this also enable honey combat antibiotic resistant infections
- Regulate blood sugar level: Though honey is sweet and contain natural sugar, it is safer in regulating blood sugar level than sugar, it doesn’t cause an insulin spike but should be used sparingly.
- Relieves cough and sore throat: Honey has been proven to be effective in relieving cough and soothing sore throat, it is preferred to OTCs (Over The Counter) medications such as antihistamines which can cause drowsiness and other side effects.Make a mix of honey and lemon for natural cough remedy.
- Wound management: Honey is used in some health care facility for dressing wound, this is because it prevent and fight infection and also aid wound healing.
- Boosts energy: If you are feeling fatigued, instead of reaching for energy drinks that contain harmful ingredients, opt for honey instead, it will replenish your energy.
- Promotes sleep: Suffering from insomnia? Put an end to the sleepnessless by adding honey to your tea or water or just take a tablespoonful of honey before bedtime. Honey contains tryptophan which is later converted to serotonin, serotonin is then converted to melatonin, an hormone that promotes sleep.
- Burns management: Honey’s antibacterial properties, hygroscopic effect and hydrogen peroxide content makes it effective for burns management.
- Brain health: The antioxidants in honey enhance cognitive function, boosts memory etc.
- Improves immune system: Honey contains vitamin C and other antioxidants that can boost immune system and make you less susceptible to infections.
- Prevent heart diseases: Honey lowers triglycerides level, prevents heart attack and can improve blood circulation.
Do you take honey? Do you know other health benefits of honey? Please share your experience with honey in the comment box. Thanks so much for reading.