Carrot is a widely eaten root vegetable. It also known as Daucus Carota. Carrots come in different colours, the most common being the orange coloured carrots, there are also purple, white, black, yellow and red.
Carrot is rich in antioxidants such as carotenoids, fibers, vitamins such as Vitamin A, B1, B2, B3, B6 and C and minerals and other nutrients such as iron, potassium, copper, manganese, molybdenum, pantothenic acid, and biotin. All these make carrot a super food.
Read also: 12 Amazing Health Benefits of Tomatoes
The orange coloured carrot got its colour from carotenoids which is also responsible for red colour of tomatoes.
A study conducted by University of Arkanas showed that cooked, pureed carrots may contain higher antioxidants level than raw crunchy ones.
Read also: Benefits of mango
The health benefits of carrots include
- Fights cancer: Carrot is rich in antioxidants, this makes it effective in fighting cancer and other diseases.
- Aids digestion: Constipated or suffering from indigestion, fiber content in carrots can aid digestion and relieve constipation and indigestion
- Reduce cholesterol level: Carrots contain fibers, vitamin C and other antioxidants that help reduce cholesterol level.
- Improves oral health: Carrot helps in removing plaques and also increase saliva production which reduces the bacteria causing cavity
- Boosts immunity: Vitamin C found in carrot is know for its antioxidant and infection fighting properties.
- Heart health: A study conducted for over 10 years among 20 participants showed that orange coloured fruits and vegetables especially carrots prevent risk of coronary heart disease
- Reduce blood sugar level: Antioxidants and phytochemicals found in carrots help reduce blood sugar level and also prevent insulin resistance. Carrot also has a low glycemic index which makes its sugar content less harmful.
- Lowers blood pressure: Potassium, a component of carrot helps lower blood pressure by balancing out bad effects of salt which can lead to high blood pressure
- Slows down aging: Carrot contain nutrients that can help slow down signs of aging such as wrinkles saggy skin etc
- Eye health: Beta carotone, a natural pigment found in carrot is converted to Vitamin A in the body, this helps with your eye health.
Do you like carrots? What other benefits of carrot do you know of? Thanks for reading. Please like, comment and share.