Itchy scalp is a common symptom that affect both males and females. An itchy scalp can lead to sores on your scalp when scratched rigorously. There are many causes of itchy scalp such as dry scalp, dandruff, product buildup, allergic reactions etc.
There are also home or natural remedies that are effective in managing itchy scalp.
Read also: Why your scalp seems dirty after a wash?
Causes of itchy scalp
- Dirty scalp: A dirty scalp that hasn’t been washed for about 1 to 2 weeks can become itchy because of accumulation of dirts.
- Product buildup: Buildup of products especially heavy or thick hair products such as castor oil, shea butter can make the scalp itchy
- Dandruff: This is the most common cause of itchy scalp. Dandruff is caused by malassezia, a fungal that feeds on the oil on your scalp. Other causes include infection, chemical processing etc.
- Using others hair tools: A neat or send scalp can be infected with bacteria from using others hair tools. Try as much as possible to stick to your personal hair tools.
- Head lice: This is very common among little children but it also affects adult as well. Head lice infest your scalp when you have direct contact or share hair tools with infected carrier.
- Tinea Capitis (Ringworm): Ringworm of the scalp is caused by a fungI known as dermatophytes. It is highly contagious and can be spread by direct contact, sharing hair tools, contact with infected pets etc.
- Other scalp conditions: An itchy scalp can also be as a result of scalp conditions such as psoriasis, dermatitis etc
- Dry scalp: A dry scalp can also be very itchy because of lack of protective oils on your scalp
- Allergic reaction: Allergic reaction to some foods such as peanuts and certain ingredients in hair can be the cause of your itchy scalp
Read also: Dandruff: Causes and Home Remedies
Remedies for itchy scalp
- Apple cider vinegar: ACV has antimicrobial properties, relieves itchiness and is also effective for cleaning dirty scalp. Mix a cup of ACV with same cup of water and use this as a final rinse on hair wash day.
- Prepooing with natural oils: In case your itchy scalp is as a result of dandruff or dry scalp, apply oil all over your hair and scalp. Allow the oil to stay for about 30 minutes before shampooing can help loosen up the dead flaky particles in your scalp responsible for itchiness. Best oils to use are coconut, jojoba, sesame and tea tree oil
- Aloe vera: Aloe Vera gel provides an instant soothing relief to an itchy scalp. It also has antibacterial and anti fungal properties. Cut open Aloe Vera leaf, scrape out the gel and apply generously on your scalp
- Onion juice: Onion juice can help fight bacteria infection etc and provide relief to an itchy scalp. Grate 1 to 2 onions depending on size, squeeze out the juice with a cheesecloth. Massage the juice on your scalp, leave for 30 minutes and wash off thoroughly.
- Honey: Pour a tablespoonful of honey on your palms, massage it on your scalp, then wash off after 30 to 60 minutes
- Baking soda: Make a paste of a tablespoonful of baking soda and water, spread it on your scalp and rinse off with warm water
- Lemon: Lemon can also stop scalp itchiness. Apply lemon juice to the affected part, let the juice sit in your hair for about 15 minutes, rinse off thoroughly with cool water.
- Witch hazel
Read also: How to grow your hairline or edges back.