Hot oil treatment is the process of applying warm oil on your scalp and hair to condition hair or restore damaged hair.
This can be done on either wet or dry hairaie but wet hair gives more effective results. Hot oil treatment should be done at least twice a month.
Read also: Prepooing and its benefits
The best oils to use for hot oil treatment are natural oils which include;
- Coconut oil
- Jojoba oil
- Olive oil
- Castor oil
- Sesame oil
- Avocado oil
- Tea tree oil
- Almond oil
Benefits of hot oil treatment
- Stimulates hair growth: Massaging your scalp with oil improve blood circulation in your scalp thereby stimulating hair growth
- Softens hair
- Boosts hair shine
- Strengthens hair
- Get rid of dry scalp and dandruff
- Prevents split ends
- Prevents frizz
Read also: Itchy scalp: causes and best home remedies
Steps of hot oil treatment
- Detangle your hair as usual
- Put your hair in about to 4 to 6 sections.
- Shampoo your hair with a lauryl sulfate free shampoo
- Gently squeeze out excess water from your hair
- Heat 4 to 6 tablespoonful of your preferred oil or mix 2 or more different oils for best results. You can do this by using two different sizes of container. The smaller container for the oil and the bigger one for the hot water. Place the container with oil inside the one with hot water to generate heat. Using a microwave can lead to lost of essential nutrients in the oil.
- Test the oil on your wrist to check if it isn’t too hot
- Dip your fingers in the oil and massage your scalp thoroughly with the oil. Work your way through the length of your hair.
- Put on a shower cap
- Seat under a hair steamer or wrap a hot towel around the shower cap.
- Let the oil sit in your hair for about 30 minutes, then rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water and follow up with a conditioner.