There are numerous health benefits of tomatoes. Tomato has been tried by almost everyone, it might be in soup, salad, juice, eaten as a snack, or other delicacy and also beauty routine. It belongs to the family Solanaceae and the scientific name is Solanium Lycopensicum. Tomatoes got their deep red colour from lycopene, a carotenoid pigment they contain.
Tomato is rich in nutrients and minerals such as Vitamin C, Biotin, Vitamin K, Vitamin A, Manganese, Vitamin E, Iron, Chromium, Choline, Potassium, Fiber, Phosphorus, Calcium, Vitamin B6 etc.
Health benefits of Tomatoes
- Bone health: Tomato contains Vitamin K and Calcium which is necessary for strong bones and joints and also prevent bone disorders such as osteoporosis.
- Helps in pregnancy: Folate, one of the nutrient found in tomatoes helps with fetal growth and development and also prevent birth defects and abnormalities.
- Reduce effects of smoking: Cigarette smoking affect the passive smokers (those that are around the smokers) than the active smokers because passive smokers tend to inhale the fumes more. Tomato contains coumaric acid and chlorogenic acid that that protect the body from carcinogens produced from cigarette smoking.
- Boosts immune system: Tomato contains Vitamin C and other antioxidants that strengthens immune system thereby preventing infection.
- Aids digestion: Tomato is rich in fiber and has high water content and so helps with digestion and prevent constipation and indigestion.
- Anticancer: Tomato is loaded with antioxidants such as lycopene that can help fight cancer cells.
- Good for vision: Vitamin A in tomatoes improves vision and prevent eye disorders such as cataract.
- Alzheimer’s disease: Research findings has shown that foods rich in Vitamin E including tomato can slow down the progression of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Heart health: The antioxidants in tomato help prevent, fight heart conditions and improve overall heart health.
- Promotes sleep: Tomato comprises choline which can help with sleep, memory, learning and muscle movements.
- Helps with blood clotting: Bleeding can be very dangerous. You can avoid this by eating tomatoes because of its Vitamin K content.
- Regulate blood sugar level: Tomatoes are low in carbohydrates which mean they have less effect on blood sugar level.
Do you like tomatoes? What other health benefits of tomatoes are you aware of? Thanks so much for reading.