Dandruff is a scalp condition characterized by white dead skin flakes and itching. You can notice the flakes on your shoulders and your clothes. It is not contagious but can be embarrassing.
Causes of dandruff
- Malassezia: Malassezia is a fungus that is found in the scalp. Overgrowth of this fungus causes dandruff
- Dry skin: Dandruff is more common in people with dry skin.
- Oily scalp: When the scalp is too oily, malassezia feeds on it making the scalp irritated and produce more dead skin cells.
- Shampooing: Shampooing either too or less often can cause dandruff.
- Unhealthy diet:
- Sensitivity to hair products
Read also; Itchy Scalp Causes and Best Home Remedies
Natural Remedies for dandruff
- Lemon: Lemon because of its acidity can help balance the pH level of the scalp thereby reducing dandruff. Squeeze a lemon and apply the juice on your scalp, wash off after 30 minutes.
- Aloe vera: Aloe vera because of its antimicrobial properties can fight fungus causing dandruff. It also has soothing effect which can relieve scalp itchiness.
- Prepooing: This is the process of applying oils e.g coconut oil, castor oil, olive oil on your scalp before shampooing your hair. This process will help alleviate dryness which is also a cause of dandruff. Some oils also have antifungal benefits
- Salicylic acid (Aspirin): Crush aspirin tablet, mix with a little bit of water to form a paste and apply to the affected part.
- Baking soda: You can ditch your shampoo and use baking soda to wash your hair instead. It also fight dandruff.
- Apple cider vinegar (ACV): Instead of rimsng your hair with water after shampooing, you can use two cups of ACV mixed with 2 cups of water.
- Ginger and honey: Both ginger and honey have antifungal benefits. Blend ginger and mix with honey, apply on your scalp and rinse off after about 30 minutes for effective result.
- Coconut oil and castor oil: Warm a mixture of a spoon of castor oil and a spoon of coconut oil and apply on your scalp, cover your hair with a shower cap and rinse off the oil after 30 minutes.
Other scalp conditions similar to dandruff
If you have tried all remedies for dandruff and nothing seems to work, it might be because of these conditions.
- Dry scalp: This occurs when you shampoo your hair too often shampoos containing sodium laryl sulfate or use any other products too drying for your hair. Also, heat and chemicals can also dry your scalp out.
- Product buildup: This is pretty similar to dandruff, but it is usually as a result of using heavy hair products or applying products without washing the hair for a long time.
Do you know of any other home or natural remedies for dandruff? Please drop your comments in the comment box. Thanks for reading.