Nausea and Vomiting: Causes and Natural Remedies that work
Nausea and vomiting are common symptoms and have been experienced by most of us at one point in our lives. Both are actually as a result of underlying health conditions.
Nausea is an urge to vomit which may or may not result in vomiting. Vomiting is voluntary or involuntary emptying of stomach contents through the mouth. Both symptoms are more common in women and than men.
Causes of Vomiting and Nausea
- Hormonal changes
- Motion sickness
- Side effects of medications
- Excessive eating
- Excessive alcohol consumption
- Cancer treatment (chemotherapy and radiotherapy
- Food poisoning
- Exposure to certain odours and smells.
- Gallbladder disease
- Head Injury
There are some natural remedies effective in the management of nausea and vomiting. These include;
- Fluid: Vomiting can lead to dehydration if severe, to prevent this, it is necessary to take copious amount of fluid such as water. The fluid shouldn’t be rushed and unsweetened fluids such as water or tea is preferable.
- Ginger: Ginger is very good for digestive system. Grating ginger root and mixing in hot water can really help relieve symptoms of nausea and at the same time vomiting.
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon has antispasmodic properties this as a result makes it one of the best natural remedies for vomiting and nausea. Mix cinnamon powder with water or dip a cinnamon stick in boiling water, allow to steep for about 5 minutes and then drink.
- Lemon: Squeeze out some lemon juice and mix with honey, take two spoonful a day to stop vomiting and also nausea.
- Onion juice: Blend some onions and mix with honey. Drink this mixture to get rid of nausea and also vomiting.
- Apple cider vinegar (ACV): Is ACV not good for everything? The feeling of nausea and vomiting can be quite overwhelming, drink an equal part water and equal part ACV to get instant as well as effective relief.
- Mint: Chewing mint leaves can also put a stop to nausea and vomiting. Wash the leaves thoroughly and chew. Alternatively, you can also steep some mint leaves in boiling water and drink.
- Cloves: Cloves are also great for your digestive system and can help with nausea and vomiting, just munch on 2 to 3 cloves. You can use with honey if you can’t tolerate the taste of cloves.
- Sit in an upright position after eating to prevent vomiting and nausea.
- Eat small meals and slowly
- Avoid smells that can trigger nausea and vomiting.
- Avoid certain foods such as fried and greasy foods
- Eat bland food such as crackers.
- Avoid citrus drinks.
What natural remedy do you use for nausea and vomiting relief? Please don’t leave this page without subscribing, commenting on and sharing this post. Thanks so much.