I recently wrote a post on 8 amazing benefits of exfoliating and I promised to write another post on how to exfoliate your skin.
When choosing an exfoliant, it is better to go for exfoliants with all natural ingredients or use DIY recipes.Not only are the diy exfoliants cheaper but are also safer for the skin and you can easily get them in your kitchen.
DIY Natural Scrubs
- Sugar: Sugar contains glycolic acid which helps remove dead skin cells and improve cell regeneration. Mix 1/2 cup of sugar with olive or coconut oil.This might be too harsh for your face.
- Baking soda: This works as gentle exfoliant, it works best when mixed with honey and is also safe for the face.
- Salt scrub: Salt is also a good exfoliant, combine 1/2 cup of salt with coconut or olive oil and massage it on your skin.
- Coffee scrub: Caffeine in coffee can boost collagen production. Mix some ground coffee with olive oil and honey.
- Lemon scrub: Lemon contains alpha hydroxyl acid which is a great exfoliator. Squeeze a lemon in a mix of sugar and honey and use it to scrub your skin.
- Oatmeal: Oats is also a gentle exfoliant and very good for those with sensitive skin. It is my favourite especially whem mixed with honey. Grind some oatmeal and mix with honey to exfoliate your skin. You can also use the oat without grinding by mixing with warm water but it will make your bathroom messy.
- Papaya: Papaya contains an enzyme called papain which helps get rid of dead skin cells. Mash some papaya and apply it over your body with a loofah.
- Milk: Lactic acid in milk makes it a good exfoliant. Mix equal parts of milk and honey together and scrub your skin gently with it.
- Honey: Honey has antibacterial properties, it can brighten skin, fades stretch mark etc. You can use it alone to exfoliate but is better to use with other exfoliator for effective results.
Things you will need
- Loofah, soft brittle brush or exfoliating gloves.
- Exfoliating agent preferably natural scrubs such as oatmeal, sugar, honey, coffee etc
- Warm water
- Cold water
Steps of exfoliating
- Take a warm shower, this will open your skin pores so that the exfoliating products can work effectively.
- Apply the exfoliating agent on your loofah or exfoliating gloves
- Spread or slather the scrub all over your body working from your chest to your legs gently in a circular motion if you are using a shower and from your legs to your chest if using a bath tub.
- Don’t forget your back, you can use a brush with handle to scrub if you can’t have full access to it.
- Apply a gentler exfoliant on your face and neck, avoiding your eye area and lips because of their thin skin layer or scrub gently. Also, use your palms to exfoliate your face, using loofah or brush can be too harsh for your face.
- Rinse your face and body with cold water to close your pores back.
- Follow up with a moisturizer immediately after towel drying your body.
How do you exfoliate? What diy recipes do you use? Thanks for reading.