Hey guys, how are you all doing? I want to share some of the worst things people have said to me about my hair. I think most of us naturalistas have also heard the good, the bad and ugly things concerning our hair from friends, colleagues, coworkers, family etc especially when we just started out.
I believe going or keeping natural hair should be your own decision and what others say or think about it shouldn’t bother you. I didn’t allow myself to be discouraged by the negative statements but it just made me dogmatic about my hair.
- If I were your boyfriend, I would have broken up with you because of your hair.
- I will buy a chemical relaxer for you, I think you can’t afford one.
- You will soon get tired of your natural hair.
- Your hair looks too untidy (because is not slicked down like relaxed hair)
- Those hairstyles (referring to bantu knots out, twist outs etc) you see online are sew in weaves, your hair can never be like that.
- Your hair won’t grow.
- Don’t you have money to go the salon?
- Is that an afro? That’s old school, people don’t do that anymore.
- Don’t come to my house with natural hair. (It was a joke though)
- Don’t ever wear your hair out, is not nice, always put on wigs or use extensions to braid or twist.
- Your hair looks weird.
- You need a lot of makeup to accentuate your look with that hair.
- You are only limited to styles like cornrows and African threading.
- Why are you using fruits and kitchen ingredients on your hair, is meant to be eaten.
- You are wasting your time, money and energy on that hair, is it worth it?
What are the negative things you have heard about your hair? Have you ever felt discouraged because of what others think of your hair? Please drop your comments in the comment section. Thanks for reading